Followup: Tony Stewart out ‘indefinitely’ after leg surgery

Filed under: Motorsports, Safety, Racing

Driver Tony Stewart prepares for a practice session for Sunday's NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Pocono 400 auto race, Saturday, June 8, 2013, in Long Pond, Pa. (AP Photo/Mel Evans)

Tony Stewart’s passion for racing is likely going to prevent him from having a hope of capturing his fourth Sprint Cup Championship. Stewart currently sits eleventh in the championship, but after a second surgery for the broken leg he suffered in a sprint car crash earlier this week, his second wreck in less than two weeks, Stewart-Haas Racing says the 42-year-old veteran will be out of the car “indefinitely,” according to USA Today.

While Stewart’s first surgery was at an Iowa hospital, it only stabilized and cleaned the injury (making it likely that this was a compound fracture, in which the bone protruded through the skin, Google if you dare). The second surgery was conducted by a North Carolina specialist, who inserted a metal rod in the tibia (the larger of the two lower leg bones Stewart broke, located on the inside of the leg).

Max Papis is slated to run Stewart’s number 14 Chevrolet at this weekend’s Watkins Glen road race. As for the oval races Stewart will miss, a replacement has not been announced. USA Today also notes that this weekend will be the first race Stewart has missed since 1998, breaking a record that placed him third among active drivers.

Tony Stewart out ‘indefinitely’ after leg surgery originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 09 Aug 2013 15:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

Continue reading “Followup: Tony Stewart out ‘indefinitely’ after leg surgery”

Report: Mahindra introduction to U.S. ‘indefinitely delayed’

Filed under: Budget, Truck, Government/Legal, India

Mahindra and Mahindra Pik-Up

Mahindra Pik-Up – Click above for high-res image gallery

We apparently won’t be seeing any Mahindra trucks on U.S. roads any time soon. The company has announced that it has no date in mind for its American introduction, and that as of right now, its progress into this market is indefinitely delayed. The hangup resides in an ever-growing legal battle between the Indian company and its almost-was importer here in the States, Global Vehicles USA. As you’ll likely recall, GV USA claims that Mahindra improperly terminated its contract with them earlier this year, noting that the automaker now wants to sell vehicles directly to U.S. customers instead of going through a middle man.

Mahindra, meanwhile, says that it doesn’t want to get into a “war of words” with its former importer. Also, the company has made it clear that it still wants to break into the American market. How exactly it plans to do so is still somewhat murky, however.

In the meantime, Global Vehicles USA has filed an injunction in federal court claiming breach of contract and urging the court to bar Mahindra vehicles from entering the states in the future.

One thing’s for sure, this mess has yet to completely unravel, and none of it bodes well for the availability of inexpensive diesel-powered pickups in America.

Gallery: Mahindra Pik-Up

mahindra-pickup-large_21mahindra-pickup-large_11mahindra-pickup-large_22mahindra-pickup-large_12mahindra-pickup-large_13

[Source: Associated Press via Journal Gazette via PickupTrucks]

Report: Mahindra introduction to U.S. ‘indefinitely delayed’ originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 18 Oct 2010 13:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

Continue reading “Report: Mahindra introduction to U.S. ‘indefinitely delayed’”